Saturday 9 May 2009

Unfinished...

Upon browising blogger out of boredom I found this unfinshed post (then titled "My Life is Ruled by the number 22"):

On Thursday I began my Mental Health rotation on Ward 22 at Trafford General. Yes, I find the fact that it is Ward 22 quite hilarious too. Anyway, I have to say I was more than a little bit anxious about starting this placement as I have had no experience with menatl health and had no idea what to expect. It also didn't help that Tony declared I would get punched on my 1st shift. So it was with these trepidations that I rose from my slumber at 5am and made my merry way to Trafford.

When I arrived I noticed how new and nice the block looked that housed the ward. I also noted that there were numerous security devices around the doors. The handover was quite pleasent and the staff seemed lovely and obviously quite happy with the situations they had to deal with. It was then time for my orientation, I was shown around the ward and given my Affray (a glorified rape alarm which I had to pull should I feel in any way intimaidated)

***

I have to say I am quite disappointed I have neglected blogger for so long and I have also neglected this post. It had potential and does remind of my feeling of dread upon entering a mid security mental health facility which seems so long ago right now...

As I type I grow more and more excited to return to Manchester. I remember around six weeks ago I was itching to return home. Garstang was possibly the worst place to live. Ever. And everyone else had left. All that was sustaining me was my fellow nurses (God bless Lizzie and Cluedo) and the freezer. Now, I can't wait to return to Whitworth and scare new freshers, wonder what will break in the flat this time and catch up with my friends.

This year does promise to be an thrilling one. I will be half a nurse around March,(hopefully) in sunny Melbourne by May, forcing Gav to be my tour guide in exchange for games of Monopoly, just another one of our shared game based loves. I will be celebrating my 21st in a whole new country, learning how nursing rolls - Australian Style and probably saying "No, it's not Surphie. It's *Sow*phie" more times then I can bear. Deb and I will then hopefully journey to sights around the antipodies including Uluru, Whitsunday Islands and New Zealand before returning to our UK home.

Academic year 2009/2010 - I'm waiting for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment