Saturday 6 February 2010

The Man. The Myth. The Legend

Of late my love for Phil Collins has grown ten fold, and that's a lot of folds seeing as I positively adorded him before. With my new crazy ways of saying to everyone withing a 100 yard radius to listen to "Don't lose my number" (best tune ever) and saying "I love Phil" on far to regular occassion I have decided to write a blog about the wonder of Phil as to spread the love via blog format.

Firstly, Phil is a musical genius: he can write banging tunes, play the piano, the guitar and quite obviously the drums. The latter which he does amazingly. He is also, quite surprisingly, a hero of American Hip-Hop artists. Tupac sampled him and Bone Thugs and Harmony got him in a video as they sampled Take Me Home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoLB_U0YPOg

The Collins has also been nominated for several Grammys, Golden Globes and Academy awards and has won seven, two and one respectively. However, the best award (in my opinion) has to be the Disney Legend award he recieved in 2002 - 4 years before Elton John. The man just cannot be stopped.

However, our Phil does have a bad rep. People dismiss him saying he's not cool or that his music is awful. The thing is Phil Collins isn't cool. He just isn't. He's been in videos with Hip-Hop stars (see above) and he just looks like a man who stumbled to where he shouldn't be and felt like singing his song for a bit - that's just Phil, he ain't cool and I don't think he wants to be.

All I can say to ye who hate/don't really like Phil just listen to some of his stuff, Genesis days included - I have to warn you if you become a fan of Genesis on Facebook you may get a friend request from a gent who "just wants to talk about Genesis".

Another day in Paradise; Don't Lose My Number; I Wish It Would Rain Down; Invisible Touch; Mama; That's All; Sussudio; You'll Be In My Heart; Jesus He Knows Me; Two Hearts (I could actually go on forever at this point so JUST LISTEN)

Chairs people... Chairs (Cheers)

No comments:

Post a Comment